Painesville Municipal Electric Division

 

MISSION OF THE ELECTRIC DIVISION
TO PROVIDE ADEQUATE, RELIABLE, AND ECONOMICAL POWER TO OUR CUSTOMERS IN AN EFFICIENT AND PROFESSIONAL MANNER
 
HISTORY
     The Globe Electric Company provided the first electricity for Painesville. The Skewer Factory was the main consumer. In 1885, the Painesville Council contracted for streetlights at $6.00 per light per month (Ordinance Number 199).
     In 1888, the Council sold bonds in the amount of $12,500.00 for purchase or erection of an Electric Light Plant. This plant was located on North St. Clair Street near Main Street in back of the old Fire and Police Station (now public parking lot). The plant continued in operation until 1908. This important event established the Municipal Electric System in Painesville and was adopted by Resolution Number 223.
     In 1893, Council granted a franchise for further lighting service from the Commercial Electric Company.At that time electricity became available for use by the citizens in their homes and businesses for illumination purposes.
    In 1895, Council contracted for streetlights at a cost of $5.00 per light per month during Moonlight Season or $8.00 per light per month for all night “burning.” The Painesville Cider & Manufacturing Company property (site of present Light Plant) was purchased in 1907 for $2,250.00.
     In 1908 a new plant was put into operation. The Commercial Electric Company phased itself out of operation around this time. In 1923 and again in 1928, large general expansions of the plant facilities occurred, created by an increasing demand for electric power in the growing Painesville area.
     In 1923, a 1500 kilowatt steam turbine generator, manufactured by Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Company, was installed to replace the existing reciprocating engine type generators and continued in operation until the late nineteen fifties. This was the first large steam turbine at the Light Plant. Additional coal fired boilers, steam turbine generators and allied equipment have been added to the Light Plant over the course of years.
                                                               
STATE ASSOCIATION
     Ohio is home to 86 community-owned-and operated systems, serving more than 370,000 customers or about 6 percent of the State.  More than 30 systems have celebrated 100 years of service, with many others nearing the century mark.
    As nonprofit entities, municipal systems exist to provide reliable, affordable service to their customers. AMP-Ohio is the nonprofit wholesale power supplier and services provider for 123 member systems in Ohio and five surrounding states.
     Municipal systems have a diversified power resource mix and they have been recognized for their environmental efforts and are currently pursuing enhanced energy efficiency measures. In addition, to wholesale market purchases, municipal systems own and operate the state's only utility-scale wind farm near Bowling Green, as well as the Belleville Hydroelectric Plant on the Ohio River.
 
POWER OUTAGE REPORTING
For power outages, down wires, broken poles or installation and repairs of a sentinel light, contact our Electric Distribution office at (440) 392-6185 between 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday - Friday or (440) 392-5954 after hours and on weekends.

Be sure to check out this video on the history of our plant!

History of Painesville's First Light Plant

History of Municipal Electric Plant - August 25, 1934

Electric Plant Annual Report - Year 1929