Zoning is a set of ordinances that restrict and define the type of land uses and development that can occur on each parcel of land in a community.  Zoning is typically divided into districts that group compatible uses together and excludes incompatible uses. Zoning laws typically specify the areas as residential, industrial, recreational or commercial. They also provide regulations that determine building placement (setbacks), height of structures, lot sizes, lot coverage, parking and other requirements.


Zoning Compliance 

Looking for a property's zoning district? See our Zoning Map:

  • S-1 Special
  • R-1 Single Family Residential
  • R1-60 Single Family Residential
  • R-2 Multi-Family Residential
  • B-1 Business/Residential
  • B-2 General Business
  • B-3 Central Business
  • DD Downtown Development
  • M-1 Light Industrial
  • M-2 Industrial 


Zoning Overlays:

Design Districts, Historic Districts, PUD

For more detail regarding zoning regulations for each district, see Chapter 1113 of the Unified Development Code. All requests for permitted uses for a given property can be submitted in writing to the City Planner.


What Requires a Zoning Permit?

All new construction, additions, porches, decks, driveways and changes of use associated with property require a zoning permit and some may require a building permit from the Lake County Building Department. Check out this handy Zoning Quick Reference Chart to see what permits and requirements you may need. 

  • Sheds, garages, pavilions, gazebos
  • Additions
  • Decks
  • Demolitions
  • Driveways, patios, sidewalks
  • Fences


  • Fire alarm or sprinkler systems
  • Lawn irrigation systems
  • New construction
  • Parking lots
  • Pavement and curb cuts
  • Porch repairs


  • Renewable energy systems
  • Roofing
  • Signs
  • Swimming pools, hot tubs
  • Vinyl/aluminum siding
  • Waterproofing
  • Window replacements

All permit applications and forms can be found under Community Development FormsFor more information, contact us at the Community Development office at 440-392-5931 or [email protected]


Variances & Zoning Appeals

In some instances there may be a need for special consideration of a property or use that is not permitted by the zoning code. This special consideration is called a variance. Property owners can request a variance if they are one zoning sub-category away from what their intended use requires. For example, if a property owner wants to turn a multi-family home back into a single-family home, they would need to request a variance.


Items such as setbacks or size of a accessory building may also deviate from the Zoning Code. The Zoning Code has an appeal process for such non-compliance items. This appeal is heard by the Board of Zoning Appeals.